Loading...
Crime Updated: April 09, 2024

Bandits kill dozens of vigilantes following ambush in Niger

By Rasheed Olajide Awoniyi
April 09, 2024
Loading...

During a confrontation in the Dogon-Dawa hamlet in Niger State's Mariga LGA, bandits reportedly ambushed and killed dozens of members of the 'Yan Sa Kai' vigilante organisation.

Allnews.ng gathered the event occurred on Saturday morning when the bandits attempted to launch an attack on the surrounding towns.

The vigilantes were claimed to have followed the criminals to their hideaway and were attacked along the route.

The chairman of Mariga Local Government Area, Abbas Kasuwar Garba, confirmed the event to Daily Trust but said he couldn't provide the number of victims until search and rescue activities were concluded.

He voiced alarm about the security situation, stating that while they had previously enjoyed quiet, assaults had resurfaced as inhabitants prepared for the crop season.

Loading...

He said, “Before this latest incident, we had been enjoying relative peace and we are happy that our farmers would be able to return to their farms this year after being denied access to farming for the past few years.

“But with this development, we are not happy, but the government will take action. I want people to be calm.”

However, SP Wasiu Abiodun, the State Police Command's Public Relations Officer, told the aforementioned outlet that the incident did not take place in Niger State.

Meanwhile, bandits who kidnapped two Federal University Wukari students and demanded N50 million ransom have now reduced the ransom to N12  million according to the administration of the university in Taraba state's Wukari local government area. 

It has been determined that Joshua Sardauna and Obianu Elizabeth are the students who were kidnapped from a local eatery last week in the university vicinity. 

Loading...

Elizabeth studied microbiology, according to information obtained by journalists, while Sardauna was a member of the Economics Department.

Head of the university's Information and Protocol Unit, Ashu Agbu, confirmed the kidnappers' demands, stating that they had dropped their initial demand of N50 million for a ransom to N12 million.

Ashu, who talked with reporters over the phone, stated that "the kidnappers have reached out and decided to reduce the N50 they had previously demanded to N12 million."

According to Ashu, the kidnappers intended to take the owner of the cafe where one of the abducted students worked but instead took the students when their target was not located.

She further said that the kidnappers informed her of their plans to return to the eatery's owner.

Loading...

The school administration, in coordination with security personnel, is currently working around the clock to guarantee that the students are released from their abductors unharmed, Ashu stated. 

Join our Telegram platform to get news update
Rasheed Olajide Awoniyi

Rasheed is a Prolific Content Writer who also has a niche in all Genres of Literature, Academic Pape...

More From this Author
Loading...

0 Comment(s)

Loading...

HEADLINE

TRENDING

See this post in...

QUICK LINKS