At least 16 people have been killed in a fire at a nightclub in Yaounde, Cameroon’s capital.
The government said the inferno was caused by fireworks used in the club.
According to the authorities, the fire spread to a place where cooking gas was being stored, Al-Jazeera reported.
“We are still at the level of investigations to find out the names and nationalities of the dead and the wounded," the government's spokesman, Rene Emmanuel Sadi said on Sunday.
“There were loud explosions from six gas bottles, causing panic in the neighbourhood.”
The government statement added that eight others were injured and taken to Yaounde’s Central Hospital.
“The tragedy, which was caused by explosions from the fireworks often used in these places, first consumed the building’s ceiling, resulting in two very loud explosions, causing panic and a stampede," the communications ministry also said.
In Douala, Cameroon, related cases of fire incidents has completely burned down at least five disco clubs over the past six years.
|ACADEMY PRESS PLC||1.51||1.36||-9.93|
|BERGER PAINTS PLC||7.90||7.20||-8.86|
|NEIMETH INTERNATIONAL PHARMACEUTICALS PLC||1.75||1.60||-8.57|
|MAY & BAKER NIGERIA PLC||4.70||4.30||-8.51|
|WEMA BANK PLC||3.55||3.28||-7.61|