Would you like to receive notifications for Breaking news and updates?

  • World
  • Updated: Apr 07, 2021

28-Year-Old Man Dies After Doing 300 Squat-Like Exercise For Breaking COVID-19 Curfew

28-Year-Old Man Dies After Doing 300 Squat-Like Exercise For

A 28-year-old man in the Philippines has died after he was reportedly made to perform 300 squat-like exercises by the police for breaking the COVID-19 curfew.

According to reports, the man named Derren Manaog Penaredondo was outside after 6 pm on April 1, 2021, to buy water in the city of General Trias, Cavite, when he was caught by the authorities. The curfew in the Cavite province is between 6 pm and 5 am and is taken seriously.

Penaredondo's relative, Adrian Lucena, revealed in a Facebook post that he and others found violating the curfew were instructed to perform 100 squat-like exercises at a shopping plaza.

He stated that the violators were told that the exercise would be repeated if they were not in sync, and the group eventually repeated it, making the total count stand at 300.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: World's First Flight With Only Vaccinated Passengers Takes Place In Qatar

After the completion of the gruelling punishment, Penaredondo got back home, aided by the other curfew violators, around 8 am the next morning. His partner Reichelyn Balce who spoke to local news outlet Rappler said that he was in pains and struggled to walk the entire time when he got home.

She said the struggle continued the following day as a result of the fatigue and Penaredondo resorted to crawling. 

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Argentina President Alberto Fernandez Tests Positive After Vaccination

"That whole day, he struggled to walk. He was just crawling on the floor just to get up. But I did not take that seriously because he said his knees and thighs were aching, as was his body", Balce said.

READ ALSO: Philippines: Typhoon Kammuri Takes 13 Lives, Displaces More

Penaredondo suffered a seizure in the evening of that day. He was revived but died at around 10 pm. Responding to his demise, the Police Chief of General Trias City, Marlo Solero, stated that there was no physical punishment for curfew violators.

Solero said those who violated quarantine are lectured and made to do community service like picking up litter at other times. He added that they had images to prove the deceased was not physically hurt, pointing out that their investigation showed that none of the staff on duty that night ordered the violators to do the exercise.

"We released him in good physical condition", he stated.

The city mayor, Ony Ferrer made a statement, saying he had ordered the chief of police to begin a fair investigation into the matter.



0 Comment(s)