×
  • News - North East - Taraba
  • Updated: August 03, 2023

Ban On Tree Felling: Over 40 Convicted In Taraba

Ban On Tree Felling: Over 40 Convicted In Taraba

Following the ban on tree felling by Governor Agbu Kefas of Taraba State, over 40 persons have been convicted in the state.

Governor Kefas had in June announced the total ban of unauthorised tree felling and processing certain trees including the African Rosewood, and ban on illegal mining across the state.

He also inaugurated a 17-man Task Force to ensure the implementation of the ban.

The Chairman of the Task Force, Brigadier General, Jeremiah Faransa (Rtd), said 46 violators have been convicted. 

While speaking to journalists in Jalingo, the state capital on Thursday, Faransa explained that the conviction was made by a special mobile court instituted against the illegal activities. 

He explained that out of the 46 violators, 39 were convicted for tree felling while 7 others were convicted for illegal mining.

He added that the state government had suspended all logging and mining activities across the state, pending the availability of government guidelines. 

Faransa further stated that the Task Force has also impounded over 100 trucks carrying various kinds of woods out of the state. 

“Adequate sensitisation has been made on this new policy and whoever claims ignorance, will face the full wrath of the law because ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

“We have a mobile court which is a court of summary jurisdiction and the full weight of justice shall be applied to the offenders.

“Already those who had been convicted are provided with an option of fine or will go to jail,” Faransa said.

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...

Notice

We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings