Would you like to receive notifications for Breaking news and updates?
The Presidency said the rescue effort is a work in progress.
In a statement issued by President Muhammadu Buhari’ Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, the Presidency reassured parents and all concerned Nigerians that the safe return of the students “remain constantly on the minds of government as they are always on the minds of their parents.”
Boko Haram had on April 14, 2014 stormed the school facilities and kidnapped over 276 schoolgirls. The development drew worldwide condemnation across the world.
Also most of the girls escaped or later released, more than 112 of these girls are still missing.
Yesterday, April 14, 2021 marked the seventh anniversary of the tragic incident. There had been renewed calls for the Federal Government to step up its efforts in facilitating the safe return of the schoolgirls.
But Buhari spokesperson called on Nigerians to continue to remember the country’s military in their prayers.
He said, “No one is giving up hope here. Efforts to secure their release through various channels and activities of the security and intelligence agencies remain on course.
“The recent decisive push by the military against the terrorists gives hope that a breakthrough is possible and could happen anytime soon.
“The Presidency asks for support, understanding and prayers for the military as they discharge their historic mandate to quickly finish off the insurgency war and free all citizens held hostage.”