×
logo
logo

Would you like to receive notifications for Breaking news and updates?

  • World
  • Updated: Feb 19, 2021

China Confirms Four Soldiers Died in June Clash with India’s Army

China Confirms Four Soldiers Died in June Clash with India

China’s defence ministry on Friday named four soldiers who died in a clash with India forces last year. This will be Beijing’s first confirmation of deaths from the border clash where 20 Indian soldiers died.

The ministry said the Chinese soldiers “sacrificed themselves” during the June confrontation at the Galwan Valley border with India troops.

India and China fought a border war in 1962. They have long accused each other of seeking to cross the frontier, which had never been properly agreed, in India’s Ladakh region, just opposite Tibet.

20 Indian soldiers died in a brutal, high-altitude border battle in the Galwan valley in mid-June. It was one of the deadliest clashes between the two sides in recent decades.

At the time of the clashes, Beinjing only acknowledged that there were casualties but did not confirm if Chinese soldiers died.

Battalion commander, Chen Hongjun and three other soldiers have been given posthumous awards, said the defense ministry.

READ ALSO: Iran Renews Call for US to Lift All Sanctions Imposed By Trump Administration

It blamed the foreign “foreign troops blatantly violating the consensus reached with us and crossing the line to set up tents”.

It said Chinese troops were able to drive away adversaries in a “significant victory.” He noted that the India side “ran away with their heads in their hands, abandoning numerous border-crossing and injured or dead personnel”.

Beijing and New Delhi later sent tens of thousands of extra troops to the border side.

On Friday, China’s foregn ministry said the country released the details to show “truth and facts”.

“India has repeatedly exaggerated and hyped up the relevant issue of deaths, and distorted facts to mislead international public opinion,” foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

China did not mention if its army suffered any further casualties during the clash.

Last week, the two sides said they had agreed to “disengage” along the border area.

Indian Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh, said the agreement would “substantially restore the situation to that existing prior to commencement of the stand-off last year”.

Tags

0 Comment(s)