×
Share with your friends
  • Crime
  • Updated: June 14, 2024

Customs intercept cannabis worth N3billion

Customs intercept cannabis worth N3billion

Wale Adeniyi, the Comptroller General of the Nigerian Customs Service, has reported that the Tincan Island command of the Customs Service has seized illegal substances worth over N3 billion.

It was said that the Cannabis Sativa was brought from Canada.

Additionally, Nigerian Customs reported that several cough syrup boxes had been confiscated as well. 

Recall that Comptroller Kehinde Ejibunu, the head of Nigerian Customs' Operation Whirlwind, disclosed that the agency had intercepted smuggled fuel/Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, valued at 106 million, in only seven days.

It was reported that 26,950 litres of petroleum products, valued at N19 million, were smuggled into the Republic of Benin from the nation.

Other items recovered include; “121 kegs of PMS of 25 litres equivalent to 3025 litres was intercepted at Oyinkansola Global Concept along Badagry/Seme road in Lagos State on 31st of May 2024.

“77 drums of PMS (616 kegs of 25 litres) equivalent to 15, 400 litres was seized on Friday, June 7, 2024, at Seayab Petroleum along Imeko/Obada road in Ogun State. The means of conveyance is a truck with the registration number 95D4244D”.

It was further revealed that on Saturday, June 8, along Owode/Atan Road, Ogun State, another 100 kegs of PMS of 25 litres, or 2500 litres, were impounded and that at Julankoly Oil and Gas along Owode/Ilaro Road, an equivalent of 6,025 litres, made up of 141 kegs of 25 litres, was confiscated.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, Ogun Area 1 Command has warned smugglers to drop any plan of bringing illicit goods into the country during the forthcoming Eid-el Kabir celebrations.

James Ojo, the Area Comptroller, said this while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria, on Tuesday in Ota, Ogun and warned that anybody who tried it would be made to face the wrath of the law.

According to Ojo, many smugglers had been arrested several times, adding that they would continue to be arrested, especially those engaging in smuggling rice into the country.

The area comptroller reiterated that the Federal Government did not want any illicit or banned goods to come into the country in whatever form.

“We are warning smugglers to desist from dealing in illicit goods as customs is not relenting in dealing with such acts and I want to assure them that we are equal to the task.

"In addition, we are at our best in customs and we will not leave any stone unturned to ensure that smugglers are brought to book,” he said.

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...

Notice

We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings