A man in Kenya, who had already been placed in the mortuary, has come back to life barely three hours after doctors had formally declared him dead.
AllNews gathered that preparations were already underway by morgue attendants to embalm him in the morgue when a mild pandemonium ensued as the 32-year-old Peter Kigen, presumed dead on Tuesday, suddenly regained consciousness.
Kigen had collapsed at his home following a stomach ailment, and was rushed to Kapkatet hospital in Kericho county by his family on November 24, local media reported.
After the confirmation of his death, he was transferred to the morgue but Kigen suddenly woke up and wailed in pain while one of the workers was making an incision on his right leg to infuse formalin, which was part of the process of preserving a lifeless body.
The staff were caught in sudden shock as they were reported to have taken to their heels and scampered to safety on hearing of the seemingly dead man wailing.
His younger brother, who spoke to newsmen, was quoted as saying that a nurse had told him the patient had died before they arrived at the casualty department.
The staff were said to have ‘casually checked’ on the patient before pronouncing him ‘dead’, Denis Langat, Kigen's uncle told local journalists.
After his surprise resurrection, he was later brought back to the hospital’s casualty department where he received first aid treatment.
While undertaking the treatment at the ward, Kigen told journalists that he was ‘happy to be alive and vowed to dedicate his life to evangelism’.
Confirming the news, the hospital medical superintendent Gilbert Cheruiyot disclosed on Wednesday that after three hours, the man identified as Kiplangat Kigen, 32, regained consciousness.
Cheruiyot said he was then taken to the general ward where he is recovering and is in stable condition.
He said investigations were ongoing to establish why the patient was taken to the mortuary when he was still alive.
“We want to know what really happened to the extent of declaring somebody dead yet he is still alive. So for now we are investigating this matter and we will issue a comprehensive statement over it,” Cheruiyot added.
However, his family is demanding justice as they accuse the local hospital of negligence.