A piece of purported news about the terrorist group, Boko Haram donating whopping sums to combat the dreaded coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has been circulating online since this past weekend, Allnews observed.
It has been shared widely on WhatsApp and Twitter, this reporter noticed.
Below are screenshots of the misleading post:
COVID-19 was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. It has since killed approximately 70,700 people and infected more than 1,290,000 others worldwide, according to data from the World Health Organization (WHO) on April 6, 2020.
High-profile Nigerians and politicians have donated huge sums to government at the federal and state levels to combat COVID-19.
Others like ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo offered properties to be used as isolation centres and health materials for the treatment of infected cases.
So far, both the federal and state governments have received billions of Naira as donations.
Allnews surfed the web and found no credible report that affirms that Boko Haram or Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), the outlawed group's splinter, made such gesture towards the Nigerian government.
As well, no top newspaper in Nigeria or even foreign, quoted Lai Mohammed, the nation's Minister of Information and Culture as acknowledging receipt of any money from Boko Haram.
The closest Allnews found vis-à-vis Mohammed, Coronavirus and fake news is a media briefing in Abuja last Wednesday where the All Progressives Congress (APC) adherent said the FG is systematic about quelling misinformation surrounding the outbreak of COVID-19 in the country.
Mohammed said the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has invested in making sure Nigerians have access to only correct information about the pandemic which has disrupted social and economic activities.
According to Mohammed, "the Task Force is stepping up efforts to ensure enlightenment campaigns through the media reach all nooks and crannies of the country so that misinformation does not take over.
"We are also tracking and refuting fake news and misinformation like the one that the Federal Government will pay N30,000 to all Nigerians with verified BVN, as well as a report on some false remedies and cures.
"We've also debunked a newspaper report that some 26 Americans who flew into Nigeria recently were not screened before being allowed in," he said.
The claim that Boko Haram donated enormous money to the government is false.
Meanwhile, Allnews cannot confirm if the proscribed group actually gifted relief materials to their members.