×
  • Crime
  • Updated: April 16, 2024

Five remanded for armed robbery in Ibadan

Five remanded for armed robbery in Ibadan

Ibadan's Iyaganku Magistrates' Court remanded five men in a detention facility on Tuesday for suspected armed robbery.

The defendants, Abiodun Solomon, 24, Abdulahi Alejolowo, 26, Emmanuel Ayobami, 31, Kazeem Saka, 37, and Taofeek Lawal, 35, whose addresses were not provided, are accused of conspiracy and armed robbery.

The prosecutor, Insp Olalekan Adegbite, told the court that the defendants committed the act about 2 a.m. on January 8 in Ibadan's Olode neighbourhood.

Adegbite said that the defendants used weapons to assault people in the neighbourhood and steal their cell phones and other belongings.

”They were armed with guns and other weapons, they attacked and robbed residents of their cell phones, jewellery, electrical gadgets, cash and other valuables,” he said.

According to Adegbite, the acts violated Sections 6(B) and 1(2) of Nigeria's Robbery and Firearms Laws of 2004. Oluwabusayo Osho, the Magistrate, refused to accept the defendants' plea due to a lack of jurisdiction.

She directed that the case file be returned to the Director of Public Prosecutions for legal guidance. Osho then deferred the matter until April 29 for mention.

Last Friday, Allnews.ng reported that the Iyaganku Magistrates' Court in Ibadan remanded three men, Jiya Adams, 44; Joseph Abidoye, 39; and Femi Adetunji, 40, in a correctional institution on accusations of suspected kidnapping.

The defendants, whose addresses were also not revealed, were charged with conspiracy, armed robbery, and abduction.

Magistrate Olaolu Olanipekun, who did not accept the defendants' allegation of lack of jurisdiction to adjudicate in the matter, asked the prosecution to duplicate the case file and send it to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal guidance.

Olanipekun then postponed the case until May 13, for consideration.

The prosecution counsel, ASP Anthony Igori, had previously informed the court that the accused allegedly committed the act on Feb. 6, at about noon, at Saco Nigeria Ltd., Ibadan.

Igori claimed that the defendants and others at large, armed with pistols and other hazardous weapons, attacked an expatriate and proprietor of Saco Ltd., Mr Mohammed Il-Saheed, stole his Samsung cell phone valued at N800,000, and abducted him.

The prosecution informed the court that the defendants reportedly collected a N35 million ransom from Il-Saheed's employers before releasing him after six days in captivity.

He claimed the acts violated Sections 6(B) and 1(2) of Nigeria's Robbery and Firearms Laws, 2004. According to him, the acts also violated Section 4(2) of the Oyo State Kidnapping Prohibition Law of 2016.

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...

Notice

We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings