Diphtheria is a serious infection of the nose and throat caused by strains of bacteria called Corynebacterium diphtheriae.
As of yesterday, health officials in Kano confirmed the outbreak of diphtheria, revealing that it has killed about 25 persons in the state.
Meanwhile, the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has alerted Nigerians to the spread of the bacteria, noting that cases of diphtheria have been reported in Lagos, Kano, Osun and Yobe State.
Below are five things you should know about Diphtheria.
1. Possible symptoms of diphtheria include; nasal discharge, sore throat, swollen glands in the neck, trouble breathing, tiredness and fever.
2. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), about 9 in 10 people will survive a case of diphtheria, but up to half of people with the disease who don't get treatment for it can die.
3. Diphtheria exists mostly among people with poor hygiene who live in crowded places
4. It spreads through respiratory droplets (such as cough or sneeze) of an infected person or someone who carries the bacteria but with no symptoms.
5. Childhood immunisation and adult boosters prevent the disease.
Pharma- Deko Plc formerly known as Parke- Davis Company started in Nigeria in 19...LEARN MORE
Nigerian-German Chemicals Plc manufactures formerly known as Hoechst Products Ni...LEARN MORE
Ekocorp PLC began operations in 1977 as Mercy Specialist Clinic. Within a few ye...LEARN MORE
Evans Medical Plc is incorporated in Nigeria as a pharmaceutical manufacturing a...LEARN MORE
Fidson Healthcare Plc started operations on March 1, 1995 as a local distributor...LEARN MORE