×
  • World - North America
  • Updated: August 08, 2020

Four Die After Ingesting Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitisers

Four Die After Ingesting Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitisers

Not less than 15 cases of methanol poisoning have been reported by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) after the victims ingested alcohol-based hand sanitsers.

The cases, including four fatalities, were reported in states like New Mexico and Arizona between May and June, this is according to a report by the disease centre.

The CDC also disclosed that out of the four patients who died, three had seizures during hospitalisation, while three other patients who fared better lost their vision post-treatment.

“Methanol, or wood alcohol, is a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested and can be life-threatening when ingested," warned the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

READ ALSOCOVID-19: Global Cases Surpass 19 Million, US Cases Shoot Past 5 Million

Residents are reminded of the importance of using hand sanitisers for disinfecting, but ingesting the sanitiser was no way to keep disinfected, states the CDC.

Coronavirus cases in the United States continues to grow, with over 5 million cases of infection and over 161,000 fatalities.

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...

Notice

We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings