• News - South West - Oyo
  • Updated: January 09, 2023

Ibadan Poly Suspends SU Executives, Postpones Exams Over Protest

Ibadan Poly Suspends SU Executives, Postpones Exams Over Pro

The executive body, alongside the activities of the Students' Union of The Polytechnic, Ibadan has been suspended indefinitely by the institution's management over the alleged protest by students on Monday morning.

In a statement by the Polytechnic's Registrar, Modupe Fawale, on Monday in Ibadan, the first semester examination planned to commence on January 9 was also postponed indefinitely.

According to new platforms, the students had earlier blocked all access roads to the State Government Secretariat, with the school gate under lock and key, and fended by the operatives of the Amotekun Security Outfit.

It was gathered that the protest was due to the increment in refusal fees for hostel accommodation from N5,000 to N15,000 and the employment of a consultant to handle the affairs of the school.

Fawale noted that the management described the protest as "ill-advised and politically motivated".

”The students' Union body has no formal complaint before the management concerning the examination slated to commence on Monday, Jan. 9, and therefore, their protest to the state secretariat is questionable.

”The management further noted that the students’ union breached the rule of decency by locking all the gates that lead to the institution and thereby causing unwarranted hardship to their colleagues,” she said.

She added that the protest affected not only the students but also the members of staff of the institution, their host communities, the neighbouring University of Ibadan, and the general public.

”It is on record that The Polytechnic, Ibadan students pay one of the lowest tuition fees among their contemporaries in the Southwest.

“Payment of tuition has been made flexible and convenient as students pay 60 per cent of the tuition fee during the first semester and pay the remaining 40 per cent during second semester.

“The Institution has not increased tuition in the last couple of years.

“Protesting on a day that they should be sober and commence their examination which is a major academic activity leading to the award of their diploma is ill-advised, politically motivated.

“It is therefore of no reasonable value to the students and indeed to the development of education,” she explained.

"The management is reviewing the situation and will issue a statement on when the suspended examination will commence.

“We appeal to students to return to class and prepare for their examinations. 

"We also appeal to parents and guardians to call their wards to order,” Fawale further noted. 

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...


We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings