×
  • News - South West - Lagos
  • Updated: April 22, 2024

JAMB sanctions official for ordering student to pull hijab

JAMB sanctions official for ordering student to pull hijab

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, on Sunday, said its official who directed a female candidate to remove her hijab before entering the examination hall in Lagos had been appropriately sanctioned.

The board also said the conduct of the 2024 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, (UTME) which commenced on Friday, April 19, 2024, had been seamless as over 1.2 million candidates would have successfully taken the examination by today, Monday, April 22, 2024.

Controversy had emerged following a report, that a candidate donning hijab was asked to remove her headcover during the accreditation process before being allowed into the examination hall at Bafuto Institute, Ile-Iwe Bus Stop, Ejigbo, Lagos.

Reacting to the development in a statement, the board, which said such action was not in line with its rules, explained that the official was sanctioned to serve as a deterrent to others who might wish to toe the same line.

In the statement, signed by the Spokesman Fabian Benjamin, tagged “Re: Lagos Centre Stops Hijab-wearing Candidates” expressed regret at the incident.

The statement read:  “The attention of the Board was drawn to an unfortunate incident at the Bafuto Institute, Ile-Iwe Bus Stop, Ejigbo, Lagos, where it was reported by Muslim News of Sunday,  April 21, 2024, and other platforms, that a candidate donning hijab was asked to remove her headcover during the accreditation process before being allowed into the examination hall.

“The Board deeply regretted the incident and on investigation, discovered that this particular incident or others in the past, is not linked to any of its examination guidelines but rather a product of the misplaced priority of some of the Board’s accredited partners or officials who claimed ignorance of the Board’s guidelines on accreditation, which ensures that all candidates are screened, allowing only female officials to screen female candidates before allowing them to gain entrance into the hall.

This situation was instantly addressed by a senior official of the Board at the centre and the candidate in question allowed in after the usual checks with her hijab.

“However, since ignorance of the law is not an excuse, the officials have been appropriately sanctioned to serve as a deterrent to others, who might wish to toe the same line, going forward.”

 

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...

Notice

We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings