• Crime
  • Updated: April 23, 2024

Jigawa: How son faked own kidnapping to extort money from father

Jigawa: How son faked own kidnapping to extort money from fa

The Police in Jigawa State have detained an 18-year-old boy, Safiyanu Lawan for reportedly faking his abduction to extort money from his father.

DSP Lawan Shiisu Adam, the command's spokesman, verified this to the Daily Post.

He stated that the event occurred on April 19, 2024, at around 1430hrs, when one Alhaji Lawan Dankoli of Kiyawa LGA reported to the State Intelligence Department (SID) Dutse that on April 17, 2024, his son, Safiyanu Lawan, went shopping in preparation for school resumption but did not return.

He went on to say that later that day, at 2320hrs, an unknown individual contacted him many times from an unknown number and warned that his son Safiyanu had been taken.

Shiisu disclosed that upon receiving the information, a team of police officers from the State Intelligence Department (SID) Dutse jumped into action and went to the location of the crime, where a 27-year-old man named Abdulrazak Salisu of Zango quarters, Kiyawa LGA, was detained in connection with the case.

He shared that during interrogation, the suspect admitted to knowing where the aforementioned Safiyanu was hiding and that they arranged to collect money from the father.

According to a police spokesperson, the team quickly arrived at the scene and detained the acclaimed victim (Safiyanu Lawan). The investigation is still underway and the accused will face prosecution.

Meanwhile, Alhaji Muftau Mohammed, an old man from Gbeganu Area of Minna, Niger State's capital, collapsed and died at Morris Police Division, where he had gone to bail out two of his sons, Mubarak Ahmed and Yusuf Mohammed, who had been supposedly arrested by police.

Mubarak and Yusuf told the Daily Trust that they were hauled up by police at about 11 p.m. on Wednesday while sleeping in a hammock in front of their house because of the heat.    

Yusuf shared, “We were lying down in a burglary in front of our house around 11:23 pm when three police patrol vans passed us and went into Gbeganu Area. A few hours later, we saw them coming back and we stood up.

“Suddenly, the vehicle in the middle packed in front of us and they asked what we were doing outside. We told them that it was where we normally sleep because of the heat. One of the officers forced the burglary open and ordered his colleagues to put us in the vehicle and take us to the station.

“When we got to the station at Morris, they collected our phones and put us in the cell. About 20 minutes later, I was in the cell when I heard my father’s voice outside. Later I heard him screaming, asking for water and a few seconds later, I didn’t hear anything again.

“It was at that point that I asked one of the officers what was happening outside. But one of the officers told his colleague not to tell us anything. Later I didn’t hear our father’s voice again until when we were told that he was dead.”

Also speaking, Dauda Jimo, the dead neighbour who drove him to the police station on his bike that fatal night, stated that Alhaji Muftau Mohammed had high blood pressure and that whenever he was jolted awake, he suffered from a severe headache.

“It was in my presence that his sons were picked by the police and Alhaji had already retired to bed. It was the noise from his daughters and neighbourhood that woke him up horribly. So, when they told him that Mubarak and Yusuf were taken away by the police, he called me to bring my bike to take him to the police station. We got to the police station at about 12:33 am. 

”So, where we were seated, he told me he was having a severe headache and I should get him water to drink. We looked for water around the vicinity but we couldn’t get it because all the shops around had closed for the day. It was in the process that he collapsed and one of the tricycles that was arrested was released to take us to the hospital and one policeman was asked to follow us.

“We went to Imani Clinic, we were told that the doctor was not around. So, we headed for General Hospital. On our way, the fuel in Tricycle was finished. It was at that point that we saw one of the police vans with which Yusuf and Mubarak were arrested. So, they stopped and we told them what happened and they took us to Minna General Hospital. Getting to the hospital, we dropped Alhaji’s dead body and the police left.”

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...


We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings