A fire incident at Kochogo Mixed Secondary School in Nyando, Uganda razed down the dormitory housing the boys on Saturday night, authorities said on Sunday.
The fire occurred at 7:30 p.m, as students were finishing up their evening preps.
According to those who witnessed the incident, the watchman sounded the alarm, causing the school administration to scramble emergency procedures.
Attempts to extinguish the fire in time to save the boarding house were, however, futile when fire extinguishers failed.
“We were all asked to assemble at the assembly grounds as teachers, support staff and locals tried to extinguish the fire,” a student said.
The extent of the damage has yet to be determined, with school authorities attributing the fire to an electrical issue.
Before the fire was discovered in the dormitory, the school had three consecutive blackouts, according to a student.
Arbico plc is a building and civil engineering contracting company, established ...LEARN MORE