An autopsy has revealed that the late Michael K. Williams died from an overdose of fentanyl, p-fluorofentanyl, heroin, and cocaine.
The Lovecraft Country star was found dead in his home two weeks ago and on Friday, the New York chief medical examiner revealed to reporters that it was as a result of an overdose of the aforementioned drugs.
Williams who was also known for appearing in Boardwalk Empire had disclosed in 2012 that he had found himself doing drugs "in scary places with scary people".
The late Michael K. Williams
Speaking with the New Jersey Star-Ledger, the actor had said, "I was playing with fire. It was just a matter of time before I got caught and my business ended up on the cover of a tabloid or I went to jail or, worse, I ended up dead. When I look back on it now, I don’t know how I didn’t end up in a body bag.”
In 2015, he told The Guardian that following the success of the series The Wire (in which he had featured), he had faced personal struggles.
"I was in a different place in life. I was using Omar as a means of escape. Now I don’t use my job as a way to define me: it’s what I do, not who I am. I have that understanding now.”
Reports reveal that a mural tribute to Williams is set to be unveiled this weekend in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.