Niger State Government has presented cheques of N17 million to about 12 traders affected by the fire incident in New Bussa, Borgu Local Government Area.
The cheque presentation was performed by Governor Abubakar Sani Bello at the Palace of the Emir of Borgu, HRH. Alh. Muhammad Sani Haliru Dantoro Kitoro IV.
Governor Sani Bello described the fire incident as unfortunate and a temporary setback to the victims and enjoined them to let go of the past and judiciously use the support of the state government.
He explained that the state government has been carrying out such support to victims of various kinds of disasters pointing out that the support might not be much, but it's a way of cushioning the effect of the incident.
"When something like this happens, we offer support so that people are able to come out from the problems they may face.
"We are not able to compensate them for everything they lost, but we are able to provide some support so that they bounce back", he said.
The Governor also used the opportunity to condole with the Emir and the people of the Emirate over the demise of some stakeholders in the Emirate, prayed for the repose of the souls of the departed and comforts the Emirate.
He equally sought the royal blessings and support of the Emir and the people to ensure victory for all APC candidates in the coming general elections assuring that the Party will consolidate on its successes recorded so far.
Responding, the Emir of Borgu Alh. Muhammad Sani Haliru Dantoro Kitoro IV acknowledged the Governor as one of their own who they will always recognise even after his administration.
While commending the efforts of the Governor in developing the state, and the compensation paid to those affected by the fire disaster, the Emir assured of his full support and that of his subjects.
Speaking to journalists, the Director General, Niger State Emergency Management Agency, Ahmed Ibrahim Inga said though the course of the fire incident was yet to be ascertained, as investigations were still on, he called on the people especially business owners to ensure they switch off all electrical appliances in their shops before closing for the day.
Recall that there was a fire outbreak recently at Monday market in New Bussa, where 17 shops belonging to 12 people were completely raised down.