×
Share with your friends
  • World - North America
  • Updated: June 25, 2024

North Korea launches ballistic missile toward sea

North Korea launches ballistic missile toward sea

A missile seen from above as it takes off in a cloud of smoke. It has a black and white nose cone.

North Korea launched a ballistic missile toward the sea on Wednesday, reported South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff and confirmed by Japan's Prime Minister Fumio Kishida.

South Korea detected the launch and is currently analyzing details, while Japan stated the missile is not expected to reach its territory, flying towards the East Sea, also known as the Sea of Japan.

The launch coincides with heightened tensions, as North Korea has recently been sending balloons filled with garbage into South Korea.

The last missile launch before this occurred on May 30, when Pyongyang fired approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles, according to accusations from Seoul.

“The suspected ballistic missile from North Korea is not expected to reach Japan,” it said of the projectile filed toward the East Sea, also known as the Sea of Japan.

This launch came amid increased cross-border tension as the reclusive communist state has been sending balloons carrying garbage into South Korea.

North Korea’s last missile launch before this one came on May 30, when Seoul accused Pyongyang of firing a volley of around 10 short-range ballistic missiles.

One day later North Korean state media released images of leader Kim Jong Un supervising tests of a multiple rocket launcher system.

Analysts have suggested the nuclear-armed North could be testing and ramping up production of artillery and cruise missiles before sending them to Russia for use in Ukraine.

In a report last month, the Pentagon said it had confirmed this behaviour.

North Korea has sent more trash-filled balloons southward this week, Seoul’s military said Tuesday, the latest in a series of border barrages that have sparked a tit-for-tat propaganda campaign.

Pyongyang has already sent more than a thousand balloons carrying trash in what it says is retaliation for balloons carrying propaganda criticising Kim’s rule floated north by activists.

In response, Seoul has fully suspended a tension-reducing military deal and restarted some propaganda broadcasts from loudspeakers along the border.

Kim Jong Un’s sister and key government spokeswoman Kim Yo Jong warned this month that Seoul would “undoubtedly witness the new counteraction of the DPRK” if the leaflet drops and loudspeaker broadcasts continued.

AFP

Related Topics

Join our Telegram platform to get news update Join Now

0 Comment(s)

See this post in...

Notice

We have selected third parties to use cookies for technical purposes as specified in the Cookie Policy. Use the “Accept All” button to consent or “Customize” button to set your cookie tracking settings