Manchester United is unarguably one of the most famous clubs in the world, with a massive fan-base in Africa and Nigeria.
The club attained this status by their performances on and off the pitch through the years.
United has been graced by legends from the likes of Sir Bobby Charlton and George Best, stalwarts like Paul Scholes and Cristiano Ronaldo, to the new generation of players led by Marcus Rashford.
From the Nigerian political sphere to the entertainment arena, 'the Red Army' boasts of adherents.
This writer presents to you six prominent Nigerians who are staunch Manchester United fans:
(1) Babatunde Raji Fashola: The Federal Minister of Works and Housing is a well-known United fan.
During his time as governor of Lagos state, he orchestrated the first coming of Manchester United legend, Rio Ferdinand to 'the Centre of Excellence'.
Then, the English soccer legend was honoured with the title of ‘Fiwagboye of Lagos’.
Once in a while, Fashola dons the United jersey while in public space during sporting events.
He once disclosed that he learnt management style from Manchester United's philosophy.
“I have been a supporter of Manchester United since I was 10 years old in 1973," the legal luminary said some years ago during an interview.
"I was lucky my father used to work in Daily Times, so every Monday we used to get these football magazines called GOAL and SHOOT.
"It helped me to keep up with the league result in Europe….I have learnt lessons from them about management and leadership from Manchester United.
"I tell people now that I’m no longer a supporter and fan of Manchester United, I am an apostle of their philosophy.”
(2) Don Jazzy: The music expert does not hide his affection for Manchester United. During big European nights, he takes to social media to express his support for the club.
(3) Uche Jombo: Nollywood actress, Uche Jombo is arguably the most vocal Nigerian female celebrity Manchester United supporter who always display her sheer dedication to the club – win or loss. In fact, her analysis most times on her social media handle depicts she has a good knowledge of football.
(4) Pete Edochie: The iconic actor is a self-confessed Manchester United supporter, this writer can confirm.
(5) Wande Coal: Coal, a former member of the defunct Mo' Hits Records declared his love for Manchester United in his track ‘Who Born The Maga.’
Occasionally, he takes to social media to show his support for the British football giants.
(6) Adekunle Gold: Going by his tweets, Adekunle, one of Nigeria's most talented singers is a Manchester United fan.
In March 2019, when United stunned PSG in Paris 3-1 (3-3 aggregate scoreline) to advance to the UEFA Champions League last-eight on away goals rule, Adekunle publicly professed his love for Manchester United.
Aside from these Nigerian stars, Xi Jinping, the Chinese president is a life-long Manchester United fan. And of course, the world-famous, Usain Bolt. Not forgetting the likes of Rey Mysterio, Justin Timberlake, Harry Styles, Megan Fox, Mick Hucknall and Rory McIlroy, who all don’t joke with Manchester United Football Club of England.