Turkey begins reconstruction of new buildings
The construction of more than 53,000 new housing units has begun in quake-affected provinces in Turkey, Environment, Urbanization and Climate Change Minister Murat Kurum said on Sunday.
He added that foundations have been laid for over 22,000 units so far.
Kurum noted that the authorities are continuing to lay the foundations for permanent residences to be built in the provinces affected by the deadly February 6 earthquakes.
“Then, we will be carrying out the construction of 650,000 houses, step by step, both in our city centers, our districts, our villages simultaneously", he said.
Reconstruction of the 11 provinces in the country’s earthquake zone was declared a priority following the earthquakes.
Following the earthquakes, President Recep Erdoğan pledged a quick recovery for the quake zones and said the state would complete housing reconstruction within a year.
With the groundbreaking ceremony for the first homes and hospitals to be built in the earthquake areas held on Thursday, Erdoğan said his government will prioritize urban transformation projects.