Randy Waldrum, the head coach of Nigeria women's national football team, says he is proud of the Super Falcons despite losing 4-2 on penalties to England on Monday.
The 66-year-old American made this known in his post-match press conference in Brisbane, adding that he wishes to stay on as the head coach and prepare the Super Falcons for the Paris 2024 Olympics.
“I am proud of my team," he told Nigerian Sports Journalist, Osasu Obayiuwana. "I want to stay with this team and continue working towards the Olympics.
"But that is not a matter for me to decide.”
Breaking: @NGSuper_Falcons head coach @CoachWaldrum: “I am proud of my team. I want to stay with this team and continue working towards the @Olympics. But that is not a matter for me to decide,” he just told me. pic.twitter.com/L2LwPQVEBi— Osasu Obayiuwana (@osasuo) August 7, 2023
Waldrum’s contract with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) reportedly ends with the Super Falcons' exit from the Women's World Cup.
The NFF appointed him to replace Thomas Dennerby in 2020.
He helped Nigeria qualify for the Women's Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) in Morocco last year, where the Super Falcons could not defend their African title and fell to their lowest position (fourth).
The poor outing and a run of three games without a win almost saw him get axed by the NFF, who reconsidered because of the timing of the 2023 Women's World Cup and the risk of getting into a troubled situation of paying any contractual penalty fees.
It is however of concern to note that the NFF may decide not to honour Waldrum's wishes because his explosive interview with On the Whistle podcast put his employers in the eye of the storm, as he accused the federation of misappropriating a whopping $960,000 (N744 million) FIFA’s grant meant for Super Falcons World Cup preparation.